My Guide Website?
The Best of Downtown Budapest Audio Tour1 Reviews
Head off on a memorable experience to explore the past, the present and all that the Hungarian capital has to offer. Experience the magic of GPS-playback on this immersive stroll through Budapest.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Budapest:If youʻre booking your trip to Budapest last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Budapest: Buda Castle Cave Tour
- Lake Balaton Full-Day Tour from Budapest
- Half-Day Etyek Wine Tour from Budapest with Meal
- Budapest: The Great Synagogue Skip the Line Ticket
- From Budapest: Guided Tour of Eger with Wine Tasting
- Stroll past significant sites and hear about their meaning & why they're there
- Hear about the Politics, Folklore and Urban Legends of Budapest
- Do it all in 75 minutes or linger at stops along the way
- Get unlimited use of the tour before your booking date and after it
DescriptionNestled along the Danube River lies Budapest, a city steeped in centuries of forgotten tales, surprising stories, and urban legends. On this walking tour, you‘ll discover downtown Budapest‘s rich history, some fun folklore, and the famous stories that shape the city‘s heritage. Starting at the Statue of Count Gyula Andrássy, you‘ll find out how his exile led to him being known as the Handsome Hanged Hungarian. From there, you‘ll explore the most essential part of the city: the downtown area of Pest, as half the city is known. You‘ll pass several prominent attractions including the Hungarian Parliament Building, St. Stephen‘s Basilica, the Policeman Statue, and the Holocaust Memorial. After circling the Soviet War Memorial, you‘ll stroll down Andrássy Avenue and hear about shopping habits during Hungary’s communist era. You‘ll then pass the Hungarian State Opera and learn about its likeness to its Viennese counterpart before finishing our tour in front of the ornate Budapest Operetta Theatre. Along the way, you‘ll have a chance to: • Find out which prime minister was Empress Elisabeth of Austria’s lover • Discover which embassy the Communists built their secret nuclear shelter beneath • See a miniature Kermit the Frog statue and hear about Mihály Kolodko‘s tiny sculptures littered around the city • Learn why you’ll find statues of George H. W. Bush and Ronald Reagan in front of the last standing Soviet monument in Liberty Square • Hear about how and where Hungarians used to eat breaded frog legs • Check out the best strudel house in downtown Budapest • Spot one of the city‘s Stumbling Stones, and hear about how they commemorate Holocaust victims across Europe • Immerse yourself in the history of Hungarian music while we walk down the Champs-Elysées of Budapest: Andrássy Avenue Whether it‘s your first time in the Hungarian capital or not, this tour is perfect for you. You‘ll hear fascinating stories and leave with memories of famous sites and local favorites. Set aside 75 minutes to do this Budapest walking tour, as there are plenty of cafés, snack bars, and restaurants on the way.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap app for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- You need to install the VoiceMap smartphone app.
- You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point.
- This tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next.
- When the download completes, you’ll see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point.
- This tour is only available in English.